Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Assignment #1

With the given character and scenario, write a scene in which your point of view changes. Make your change in perspective subtle. (One card had a vocation [ballerina], the second had a strange scenario [the itchiness]. Then we switched cards. So if you're wondering where I got such random ideas, there it is: they're not my ideas. I just built upon them. )

The beautiful dancer gracefully pranced onto the stage floor. Each step she took was commanded by the orchestral music. Step by step, note by note, every move compelled by the flutes and violins. Poetic license was hers to take led by the compelling nature of each crescendo and decrescendo. Tempo and movement there in perfect harmony. Her turns and leaps flew with the music.

She had been practicing with the orchestra for months now for this performance. Everything was solid. They knew their notes and she knew her steps. Everything was perfect.

Turn. Step. Step. Turn. Smile. Hop. Straight limbs. Straight lines. Pause. Slow down. Horns, then strings. Itch. Itch?!?

The music went on. The audience watched in awe. But there it was.

All eyes are on my every move. That stupid dog in the park? I knew he wasn’t clean! A bug bite? Really?? Now?? No not now.. I can’t scratch! This is my big debut! The thought that there are hundreds of eyes watching my every step, my every move is only making me more and more aware that my leg is killing me!

Step step step. Listen to the music. They’re watching you! Even the other dancers in the wings are watching. But all I want to do is scratch that itch. Focus focus.

There’s a break! The perfect chance! Better than nothing. Tiny step. Scratch. Tiny step. Scratch. The utter bliss to scratch that itch. To fall into temptation. To do that which I’m not supposed to do. To fall at the mercy of a mere bug bite?? But I need to finish! Focus focus!
This is it! I curtsey. The music stops. The applause begins. I crumble and fall to temptation and, alas, utter bliss.

1 comment: